……and Mother Earth said “OUCH THAT HURT!!!”
Whether we descended from the Apes, the Neanderthal man to Homo-Erectus and evolved to our current status as Homo-sapiens or from Adam and Eve is not the point. The point is -how mindlessly we are currently proceeding to destroy our environment surely and steadily. Ozone holes, ice-caps melting 10 times faster than ever before, greenery disappearing due to rampant deforestation, wild life close to extinction!!! Where the hell are we headed to???
Sure…. we’ve landed a man on the moon, and probably will have one more strutting on Mars shortly, also space travel vacationing is a serious possibility now ( thank you Richard Branson)….but what about our ecology and environment ? Compared to these “giant steps of mankind” we have also turned into ecological barbarians, that can make Attila The Hun seem like a kid whose only fault was to have be-headed his sister’s Barbie doll.
To be fair, there have been serious attempts towards this correction. A handful of concerned people are working dedicatedly towards the cause of producing eco-friendly products. Daily use and throw items that are bio-degradable and which , when disposed after use, will NOT harm ecology at all…….on the contrary, these products actually melt into the earth once they have served their purpose.
The buzz word here is TO MANAGE YOUR WASTE AT THE SOURCE ITSELF.
Food waste and garden waste, like twigs and shrubs, can be safely converted into compost which again can be USED for Nurseries and Agriculture. All Dry waste can be recycled!!
DIFFERENTIATING BETWEEN WET & DRY WASTE
Segregating between wet & dry waste helps in better waste management, including recycling of dry waste. Learn more.
WHAT IS WET & DRY WASTE?
Bio-degradable waste such as vegetables, fruits, flowers, garden leaves, wood and pencil shavings or other organic or kitchen waste is known as wet waste, whereas plastics, paper, glass, metals, tetra packs, aluminum foils etc. are classified as dry waste.
WHY IS WASTE SEGREGATION NECESSARY?
1) If the waste is not separated properly, it all gets mixed up in landfills. This can contaminate ground water and release methane gas, which is highly flammable.
2) Methane is also a green-house gas that ultimately leads to climate change and droughts. The impact of climate change on the world is already there for everyone to see.
3) When rag pickers put their hands into waste to clean it up, they suffer from cuts and abrasions that lead to infections. It is our duty to ensure the good health of these rag pickers by segregating wet and dry waste.
4) A lot of materials in every day waste are recyclable. When waste is not segregated, it is difficult to pick out these materials for recycling. This leads to a lot of wastage of valuable resources.
TIPS TO SEGREGATE WASTE
1) To know if a certain kind of waste is wet or dry; ask yourself ‘If it is put into a pit and covered, will it become mud or compost?’
2) Start keeping two separate dustbins in your house. One for wet waste and one for dry waste.
3) To make it easier to start off, begin segregating your kitchen waste first.
You can classify the waste from the rest of your house as dry waste. Gradually as it becomes a habit, you can be more specific and start classifying waste in the rest of your home.
A compound called POLY LACTIC ACID or PLA , when used in the manufacture of “ Bio-plastic” products like garbage bags, carry bags, pouches, Ready to eat food packs, cups, straws, glasses with lids for sipping cold drinks , bags for packaging apparels, cling wrap films, forks, spoons , knives and plates, ice-cream cups and buckets, food containers etc. renders these products 100%BIO-DEGRADABLE and Compostable , 100% Food Grade and 100% Eco- Friendly.
Our goal is to make the Municipal Solid Waste Management Landfills free form non-biodegradable plastics to begin with and by developing and putting in action, Domestic solid waste management systems for housing societies and industrial townships, recycling of recyclable waste at source and composting biodegradable and compostable kitchen waste at source, we shall be able to reduce further load on Landfills. This will help us to reduce the load on MSWM Systems management and landfills and in turn, will reduce pollution of air, water and land, save greatly on fuel for transportation and reduce health hazards for human beings and stray animals!!! , allow the municipal workers and rag pickers to come out of their Safety, Health and environmental pollution issues and their services can be utilized for a better employment in healthier, happier job conditions.
The issue of stray animals around MSW landfill sites and Garbage dumps around cities and townships, consuming garbage and plastic bags will be controlled.
REDUCE.,REUSE.RECYCLE AND COMPOST ORGANIC WASTE FROM YOUR DAILY WASTE….STOP LITTERING !!
And Mother Earth will say THANKS! I CAN BREATHE AGAIN!!!
The ecological Hun.